Published On: Sun, Apr 26th, 2015

Shops destroyed in Indira Market Fire

Share This
Tags

4 shops completely, 3 more destroyed in the inferno
A short circuit late Saturday night possibly led to accident.
Dehradun: A massive fire brokeout late last evening at Indira Market- one of the favorite hangout spots of Doonites. The cause of the accident is believed to be an electrical short circuit. It took 6 fire brigades almost 90 minutes to take control over the fire.
Witnesses reported that gusting winds caused the loose wires near the entrance of the market to come in contact with each other. The sparks caught fire when they touched a flex board just below them. The burning pieces form the flex in turn caused fire in one of the shops at the entrance of the market which had a domino effect on 4 other shops.

Shop owners protest

Once the fire department was able to take control over the fire, angry shop owners protested against the electricity department and the mayor (whose flex is believed to be the one that caught fire in the first place).
Goods amounting to lakhs of rupees have reported to be damaged or completely destroyed in the fire.

A devastating tragedy averted

It may be noted that the area of Indira Market caught in the fire blaze shares a common boundary with a petrol pump and had the fire fighters not swung into action, a major tragedy could have taken place.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>