SP among 6 killed as Gurdaspur ordeal ends
First major terrorist attack in nearly 8 years
In the first major terror strike in Punjab in eight years, heavily-armed militants in army uniform on Monday sprayed bullets on a moving bus and stormed a police station, killing six persons, including an SP, and injuring eight others in Gurdaspur bordering Pakistan.
A total of four militants were gunned down after a 12-hour long gun battle involved in the terror attack at Dinanagar in Gurdaspur district. The Punjab Police personnel are now conducting combing operation to sanitise the building where the terrorists were earlier lodged in.
According to CNN-IBN, the deputy collector of Gurdaspur has confirmed that the ongoing operation against terrorists has ended after it went on for 11 hours. So far no group has claimed any responsibility for the attack. More details are awaited from senior police officials.
Don’t show live images of Gurdaspur operation- Government to Media
The information and broadcasting ministry on Monday asked TV channels not to show live coverage of the ongoing anti-terrorism operations in Dinanagar town of Gurdaspur district in Punjab and said some channels carried such telecasts in violation of rules. The ministry issued an advisory and said it had notified the Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules, 2015, which state that no programme shall be carried in the cable service which contains live coverage of anti-terrorist operation by security forces.
The terrorists have killed six persons– three civilians and three policemen including Superintendent of Police (Detective), Baljit Singh, a Punjab provincial service officer said.According to Punjab Police IG (Counter Intelligence) Gaurav Yadav, SP Baljit Singh succumbed to bullet injuries sustained in the gunbattle.