MCA lifts 5 year ban on SRK
The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has lifted a five-year ban on Bollywood superstar and Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan. The ban was imposed on “King Khan” of Bollywood after he was involved in a spat with a MCA official in 2012 when his team Kolkaat Knight Riders took on Mumbai Indians at the Wankhade. “We have lifted the Wankhede ban from Shah Rukh Khan,” Ashish Shelar, vice president, MCA, told media persons on Sunday.
Last year MCA was willing to lift the ban on the actor temporarily in order to host the June 2 final before it was taken away and allotted to Bengaluru by the Cricket Board. On May 16 this year, however, Shah Rukh witnessed defending champions KKR taking on Rajasthan Royals at the Brabourne Stadium here which is owned by another BCCI affiliate – Cricket Club of India – and is just a stone’s throw away from the Wankhede Stadium.
No respite for Ankeet Chavan
The MCA has, meanwhile, turned down Ankeet Chavan’s request to appeal to the BCCI on his behalf about removing the life ban imposed on him despite the left-arm spinner getting a clean chit by the Patiala House Court in Delhi. Chavan had written a letter to the MCA asking for help for the ban on him, slapped by the BCCI in 2013 after he was embroiled in the spot fixing scandal in the IPL, be lifted, but the association expressed its helplessness on the issue. “We will abide by the BCCI’s decision, since it is our parent body,” said Shetty. “We will have to go as per the BCCI’s guidelines in this regard. He may have escaped criminal charges alleged on him by the Delhi Police, but the BCCI maintains that he has broken its code of conduct,” he added.