2.61 lakh names deleted from electoral list of the state
The Uttarakhand Chief Electoral Officer has struck off 2.61 lakh names from the voters’ list of the Vidhan Sabha as part of a statewide exercise to get rid of duplicate voters.
The exercise of revising the voters’ list for the Vidhan Sabha was started in the state on October 1. Besides deletion of duplicate voters, the names of persons, who have become eligible for voting (reached the age of 18 years on January 21, 2016), would be included in the list.
“There were duplicate names. In some cases, voters had either shifted to other places or some had died but their names still continued to be in the list
After the Lok Sabha elections in 2013 up to September 2015, the names of 2.61 lakh voters have been deleted,” said Radha Raturi, Chief Electoral Officer, Uttarakhand.
She said the names of voters, who had shifted to other places or were dead or repeated, had been removed. The form for correcting names were also being submitted at every polling station for correction in the voters’ list. The roll was published on October 1 and it has been made available at all polling stations.