India, China hold 19th round of border talks
India and China today held the 19th round of talks to resolve the vexed border dispute amid a growing discord between the two nations over Beijing blocking India’s bid to get JeM chief Masood Azhar banned by the UN.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval held the annual talks with Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi to discuss the road ahead to resolve the dispute which has bedevilled bilateral ties.
Besides the border issue, Doval and Yang, the designated Special Representatives, also have a larger mandate to discuss all contentious bilateral, regional and international issues.
Considering their mandate, the second attempt by Beijing in an year to block India’s bids to get the Pakistan’ terror group’s leaders banned is expected to figure in the talks.
Last month, China had vetoed India’s bid to get the Pathankot attack mastermind designated as terrorist by the UN Sanctions Committee, maintaining that the case “did not meet the requirements” of the Security Council.
The Chinese action evoked a strong reaction in India which said that it was “incomprehensible” that while Jaish-e- Mohammed (JeM) was banned by the UN, its chief was not.
Indian officials say while Azhar’s listing was cleared by the four other UN Security Council permanent members, China has put a “technical hold”, like it did in the case of Mumbai terror attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi earlier.
Since China, the veto wielding UNSC member, put a technical hold on Azhar issue, India has voiced its protests.
While India’s UN Permanent Representative Syed Akbaruddin spoke of “hidden veto” at a UNSC open debate on ‘Threats to International Peace and Security Caused by Terrorist Acts’ in New York on April 16, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar called for a review of China’s decision to strike a common stand against terrorism.
For its part, China continued to stick to its stand saying that its decision is based on facts and fairness.
Defending the stand, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying yesterday said “we oppose double standard in counter terrorism campaign.”
“We have been dealing with the listing (of terrorists by UN) matter in accordance with the facts and relevant resolutions. We are also in sound communication with all relevant parties including the Indian side,” she said.
Considering the heat generated over it, the issue was expected to figure prominently between Doval and Yang.