NEW DELHI: Tens of thousands packed the sprawling Ramlila Maidan where AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal took oath on Saturday as Delhi’s chief minister for a second time in 14 months.
These are the highlights from Kejriwal’s speech
1. Will restart anti-corruption phone line and ensure Delhi becomes corruption free in five years
2. If anyone offers a bribes, take note of it, record it on your phone and bring it to me. Will launch strict probe
3. Delhi police is not under Delhi government but we can make sure people from all religions and castes feel secure
4. Kejriwal refuted all rumours that AAP will contest elections in other states as well.
5. Will pass Jan Lokpal Bill as soon as possible and will fight for Delhi’s complete statehood, promises Kejriwal
6. Women security, cheap water and electricity, is my priority and I will make sure your money is not stolen, says Kejriwal while urge people to pay their taxes
7. Kejriwal wants an end to the VIP culture in Delhi
“We want to stop this VIP culture. Do you like it when a minister is travelling and roads are blocked and traffic jammed for an hour?
“I came to know in European countries, prime ministers are seen standing at bus stops. We need such type of culture. It will take time. But we will do it,” Kejriwal said, addressing thousands of AAP supporters at the sprawling Ramlila Maidan after taking oath as Delhi’s chief minister.
Will make Delhi corruption free in five years: Kejriwal
Speaking to tens and thousands of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supporters at the Ramlila Maidan where he along with six others were sworn in, Kejriwal said: “I remember, during Anna (Hazare) agitation we asked for a corruption-free India. Even our opposition agreed that during our 49 days rule, we were able to end corruption in Delhi.
“Now, we are much more confident. We will make Delhi India’s first corruption free state,” Kejriwal said to thunderous applause.
Families of senior AAP members, including Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia, attended the ceremony.
Cheering Aam Aadmi Party supporters started flocking to the ground in the heart of the capital right from the morning, and excitement ran high whenever a prominent party leader was spotted.
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia announces portfolios:
Sandeep Kumar: Ministry of Women and Child Social Welfare, Language, SC/ST
Asim Ahmed Khan: Food and Civil Supply, Environment and Forest, and election departments
Gopal Rai: Transport, Development, Labour, General Administration Department and Employment
Jitender Singh Tomar: Law and Justice, Home, Tourism, Art and Culture
Satyendar Jain: Power Ministry, Health, Industries, PWD and IFC